Thursday 30 August 2012

Dream a little dream of….

I woke this morning with a feeling of extreme unease. It had nothing to do with the fact that I had only slept for 6 hours (any less than 8 hours and I feel a little icky) or that I had to actually get up and wash my long difficult hair and then leave the house for work in less than 35 minutes. My unease was due to being wakened suddenly by my distressing sounding alarm clock, having been deep asleep and in the middle of a very bizarre dream. It was an unhappy dream verging on being a nightmare wherein I was arguing with my mother in her bathroom while she took a shower. This is not something I would normally do while awake, so I can only assume it was one of those weird, slightly sinister dreams you have during a period of stress.

During the dream I was literally screaming and crying at my poor mother, who bizarrely seemed totally unaffected by my hysterics. Worse, I was actually complaining to her about my husband. ‘He’s so mean!’ I wailed. This is not only totally untrue but also a weird thing to complain to my mother about. Then my mother popped her head out of the shower and I was struck into silence by the sight of her head of long hair which appeared to be coloured bright blue. Clouds of steam billowed around us like some kind of malicious pollution and she smiled at me and said politely (in a French accent) ‘Could zee pass the soap si vous plait?’
Then my alarm went off and I woke up.

I moaned to my husband afterwards while he battled with his tie and suit in the bedroom. ‘I had a bad dream,’ I said pitifully. He gave me a hug and listened patiently to me relate my dream, in his usual gentle way. He must know he is married to a crazy person, but to his credit he never lets on how weirded-out he must be sometimes.
‘I had a bad dream too,’ he sighed as he was walking out the door to go to work.
‘Really? What was it about?’ I ask, thinking maybe we dreamed the same thing. Maybe we are psychically linked! How amazing would that be?! On second thoughts I don’t really want him dreaming about my mother in the shower…
‘It was awful!’ he exclaims looking nauseous, ‘I dreamed I married one of my best men!’

No comments:

Post a Comment